Change futures with a master’s in counseling from Marquette.
Discover your purpose and the tools to make a difference in lives and communities.
Our online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is built on a tradition of excellence and commitment to working in diverse settings. In the Marquette counseling program, you will gain the insights and experience to pursue a thoughtful and fulfilling career as a counselor—with the flexibility and convenience of an online program.
Whether you choose to specialize in child and adolescent counseling or pursue our general track, you will be focusing on growth and development, improving the quality of lives, identifying the strengths and tools your clients need to succeed, and the issues and mental health concerns that hold them back.
- Complete in as few as 3 years
- 60 credits
- 18 required courses
- 2 elective courses
- Three opportunities to start per year
- Pursue general track or the child and adolescent counseling specialization
An MS in counseling creates diverse opportunities for a meaningful career.
Clinical mental health counselors work in various settings, including community health centers, hospitals, outpatient and residential mental health centers, prisons and private practice. The scope of their work is broad and depends in part on the specific work setting. Areas of practice might include behavioral or substance abuse interventions, and supporting clients with parenting, interpersonal, coping and collaborative skills.
Specific licensing requirements vary from state to state, but a master’s degree and an internship are typically required to become a mental health counselor. Job growth for clinical mental health counselors is predicted to be much higher than average through 2030.1, 2, 3
Work as a school counselor with a child and adolescent counseling degree specialization.
School counselors work in public and private schools addressing behavioral issues and helping students develop academic and social skills and plan their career paths. In addition to providing short-term counseling and referrals, school counselors may also advocate for students in individualized education planning meetings or as systems change agents to create more social justice in the school environment.
School counselors need a master’s degree in school counseling or related field and a state-issued credential. Some states require career counselors and advisors to be licensed. Job growth for school counselors is predicted to be higher than average through 2030.4, 5
Clinical Mental Health Career Summary
|Practice Area||Median Wage||Job Growth Through 2030|
|Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, or Mental Health Counselors||$47,600||23%1|
|School and Career Counselors||$58,120||11%4|
We’ve only touched on the career directions you can take with a master’s in mental health counseling. Find much more information in this recent article on the Marquette Counseling blog.
Choose counseling for a richly rewarding career helping people.
If you like to interact with and help people, and you’re more interested in your fellow human beings than in just earning a paycheck, the Marquette online Master’s in Clinical Mental Health counseling can help you create a richly rewarding career in the setting of your choice.
Why Choose Marquette for your online master’s in counseling?
Like you, Marquette University is purpose-driven and focused on creating empowerment through knowledge. Our transformative programs are grounded in the Jesuit tradition of intellectual inquiry and service and are dedicated to fostering personal and professional excellence for our students.
At Marquette, we are committed to promoting social justice. This university-wide promise stresses the importance of diversity and multicultural influences in our programs and in the research, teaching and practice of counseling.
Marquette’s online master’s in mental health counseling curriculum combines academic rigor with the flexibility of an online program. After earning your degree, you will be poised to lead a limitless life, with your professional and personal success based on helping others. You will also be prepared to meet the educational requirements for licensure as a licensed professional counselor in Wisconsin and many other states.
We’re here for you, wherever you are.
When you enroll as a student in our clinical mental health counseling master’s degree program, you will be assigned a dedicated Student Success Coordinator. This committed partner will work with you throughout the program and can help you understand and meet important deadlines, resolve any technical challenges that arise, strategize your course selections and more.
Courses for the online master’s in counseling are organized in an intuitive digital learning management system, D2L, designed to foster collaboration and allow more open communication between your peers and instructors. You can use D2L to complete course work, track your grades, view lectures, participate in discussions and submit assignments.
By choosing an online format to earn your master’s in clinical mental health counseling, you will have the flexibility to take classes from wherever you are. Our online program provides the same rigorous course work as our on-campus clinical mental health counseling program.
We’re dedicated to your success.
Earning your master’s degree is vital to being eligible for licensure and becoming an effective counselor. Marquette MS in Counseling graduates consistently achieve high pass rates on their licensing examinations.
In 2019, the pass rate for graduates taking the National Counselor Examination (NCE) examination was 100%.
Be The Difference with help from an exceptional institution.
Attend one of the country’s top universities for quality and value without leaving home. Get an education that prepares you for a fulfilling career and a purposeful life.
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Complete your online master’s in counseling in as little as three years.
Marquette’s online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is granted on successful completion of 60 credit hours of classes. State licensing requirements often require practicum and internship experiences, and those are built into our program. The three-year degree timeline includes practicum and internship experiences taken in the latter part of the program.
Practicum and internship opportunities provide students with hands-on experience in assessment, diagnosis, intervention, prevention and consultation. Marquette faculty and staff are committed to helping you find internship and practicum opportunities that suit your career interests, in the Milwaukee area or wherever you’re located.
Most course work for the master’s in counseling can be completed on your schedule, although some courses have synchronous components. Synchronous sessions provide important opportunities for students and instructors to discuss and develop impactful counseling skills, including live response and interactive role-play.
Our faculty are experts in human development, multiculturalism, addictions, family, group and trauma counseling. They bring expertise and knowledge gained from providing support in diverse environments to their instruction.
What you will learn Marquette’s online MS in counseling program:
- Understand the foundations of behavior through biological, psychological, social and cultural lenses and evidence-based approaches to individuals and groups
- Gain a grounding in the professional, ethical and legal standards of the profession
- Serve as an advocate for the mental healthcare of underserved individuals and communities
- Build critical practices, such as self-awareness and reflection, into your role as a counselor
- Understand clinical mental health counseling prevention and treatment for individuals as well as groups
- Students specializing in child and adolescent counseling will learn about evidence-based counseling practices specific for children and adolescents
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/substance-abuse-behavioral-disorder-and-mental-health-counselors.htm
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from verywellmind.com/what-is-a-mental-health-counselor-4157925
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from work.chron.com/prison-counselor-do-21972.html
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/ee8b2e1b-d021-4575-982c-c84402cb2cd2/Role-Statement.pdf
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from collegefactual.com/colleges/marquette-university/rankings/#veterans
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from collegefactual.com/colleges/marquette-university/rankings/
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/best-value?schoolName=Marquette+University
- Retrieved on March 23, 2022, from premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863